The Car: Assembly Part II

So I’ve spent a good few late nights out in the garage, fiddling with the car, scratching the paint, and realising that, actually, I am rather stupid at times. But despite all this progress has continued well. I’ve had to have certain parts made up from scratch as they can’t be bought new, which is taking its time. Hopefully the car will be on its wheels soon.

 

IMG_2694

The front bumper was bent from the small crash the car was once in. I managed to bend it straight, but getting it to line up is tricky as the mounting points are all damaged.

IMG_2695

This is the corner that was hit. The only evidence is the slight dent in the front of the bumper.

IMG_2693

Can only fit one wheel as I don’t have the left hand thread wheel nuts for the car. A set is on its way from Classic Alfa in the UK.

IMG_2696

The rear bumper was in pretty good shape. We don’t have the budget for a re-chrome so I just wire-brushed and polished the bumpers. I also rewired the number plate light.

IMG_2697

Fitting the boot-lid took its toll. The paint was a little too thick here. But at least now the boot opens and shuts as it should. Top Tip: If you need to align the boot lid after a respray, do it with the fuel tank out so you can climb into the boot should it all jam shut.

IMG_2647

My second attempt at the dashboard wiring, a much better fit this time round.

IMG_2640

Fitting the heater control panel, looking pretty sharp.

IMG_2638

A dry install of the dashboard and gauges. It’s really rare to find a dash in this condition, I’m always grateful this was included in the sale of the car.

IMG_2639

The steering wheel is a little worn but in the honest, old car with many miles on the clock sort of way.

IMG_2633

Found a pair of old Hella horns which cleaned up well.

IMG_2632

Driver’s side horn.

IMG_2630

The wiring is starting to look a little messy, but when it’s all taped up it should look great.

IMG_2688

The bell-housing was blasted and cleaned with new wiring for the reverse switch. The gearbox has been sent off for some work at Midlands Motors.

IMG_2672

The starter motor was looking pretty poorly, so I stripped it, cleaned it up and checked all the brushes.

IMG_2676

All fresh and new and works like a charm.

IMG_2650

The heater motor was seized, so I pulled it apart.

IMG_2659

Lubricated the bearings.

IMG_2658

removed the corrosion and cleaned the brushes.

IMG_2661

And now it’s spot on.

IMG_2682

And now it’s time to start thinking about the interior and headliner, as my old headliner is fairly ruined.

1 Comment

  1. Bill roulston says:

    You deserve a medal

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: